Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Do you as an employer or does your employer begrudge the use of benefits?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ken2v, Feb 29, 2016.

1. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I have several friends, none with the types of jobs where lives are on the line, who are almost afraid to use their vacation time. We're talking professionals, not some poor schlub kid washing dishes. Yet they nearly tip-toe around when trying to make use of the things that go with the job. I once worked for a kill-joy who did nothing but grind grind grind. He was an elected so maybe that wasn't such a terrible thing, as he actually appeared to care. But he hated to sign off when the rest of us wanted to go enjoy life. Now the last guy was a small-man megalomaniac CEO and the other VP and I just said fuck it, and did our thing. It was just silly, though, that the work relationship was effectively like a jealous 13-year-old in that first relationship. I like the current guy, however, he's very reasonable.

Of course, then there are the total wankers who run and cry to the shop steward or the union rep when you actually just ask them to do their job.

You?

2. undathesea

undathesea
    Expand Collapse
    Elitist & Least Tits
    Founder's Club Master Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I'm not afraid to use my benefits. In fact, I just told my employer I planned to use all of my sick time this year for grad school.

Can I deduce the reason that they are afraid to use their earned/accrued paid-time-off is that they lack self-confidence in their own abilities and feel like it would be difficult to find another job? Clearly the job they have can't be that great if those in charge make them feel scared for using their earned benefits.

3. gmille58

gmille58
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker Extraordinaire
    Founder's Club

Never had an issue with vacation time. At my first job, I used to work with a guy that the managers made take off a couple of weeks because he had 2 years worth (8 weeks) on the books and would have not accrued more. Sick leave is another issue. Worked at a place that used to have 21 days available per year, but if you took more than 3 you would draw attention to yourself.

4. Grumpy

Grumpy
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

As an employer, I expect people to use their PTO as they see fit. I think getting away from the office on a regular basis makes for a more productive and engaged staff anyway. I only get irritated when staff "mis-uses" their health benefits. We are a self insured company so it drives me nuts when I hear about staff going to emergency rooms for things that should have been dealt with at their regular physician's office. That cost differential rings up in a hurry.

• Like Like x 1
  5. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I want my employees to use their vacation time, that's what it is there for. I also give all the major Holidays as paid, even though these are hourly employees, and they get up to 5 sick days a year. No one takes their sick days though. I actually haven't had an employee miss work due to illness in a long time. Now my wife works for the County, and that is a whole different ballgame due to Union bargaining and all that crap. 6 weeks vacation, + probably the equivalent of a month's sick time, then they have a separate disability program, can cash out your vacation or sick time for pay, + all the health benefit programs. Now I know why some of these counties and municipalities are BK.

6. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer
    Expand Collapse
    "What doesn't kill you makes you strong."
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    My experience is very similar. My people need to take more time off. I do not want burn outs. And my wife is retired LAUSD. At least I am getting some benefit from my taxes.
    I am implementing a change in our manual regarding time off. My senior personnel can have as much time off as they want-need because they are all too commonly on their computers and phones at off hours, holidays and weekends. Win win.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    That is a win-win. Your top people, good people, treat them like people. Even "off" the job the goods one are on. If the work gets done, who cares about punching a clock?

8. newmans

newmans
    Expand Collapse
    Oompa Loompa
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I like your vacation policy. For years, I was always available to work. I took a laptop when I went on vacation. I would spend a lot of time speaking with clients while on vacation. I've even cut a vacay short and flown home on a redeye to deal with issues. I am largely commission based/eat what you kill......so I am compensated. At my busiest, I might squeeze in a couple a weeks a year(usually only 4 days away at a time). Now that it's a different market and a different time, I take as many holidays as I want. I'm still reachable if necessary, but I enjoy my vacay time now. Like you said......it's a win win.

9. Chess

Chess
    Expand Collapse
    Chester the Molester
    Founder's Club Diamond Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Sick leave....you must be a govie :p

• Like Like x 2
  10. DRPinVa

DRPinVa
    Expand Collapse
    Inaugural Lottery Winner!

Rustburg, Va.....where the hell is *that*???
    Trips to Vegas:
    As an IT manager of three groups, comprising about 32 folks total, I can honestly say that I've never withheld or made it difficult for anyone in my groups to take their earned time off, hell, being the senior guy with the most accumulated time, I probably lead the way. The only thing I've ever required is that they schedule their time away so that I don't have too many off at the same time. One of my groups is a 24x7x365 IT Help Desk, and scheduling with that group can be very cumbersome - some folks may get a little irked that everyone can't take off Memorial Day week, or July 4th week, or Easter week when schools are closed, etc. I usually face an opposite issue towards the end of the year, too many have been 'saving' their days for the Christmas/TGiving Holidays and I have to practically force them to take days off so that they don't lose any days that they aren't allowed to carry over to the next year.

• Like Like x 1