Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Crooked cops

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TriggerMN, Apr 8, 2016.

1. TriggerMN

TriggerMN
    Expand Collapse
    The Norwegian Hammer

Trips to Vegas:
    I recently finished up watching "The People vs. O.J. Simpson," and as we all remember, the case A) was basically split along racial lines and B) turned on the testimony and career of Detective Mark Fuhrman. Looking back, it's pretty obvious to me that O.J.'s wife was cheating on him with a bisexual douchebag and that O.J. decided to take manners into his own hands, but that's neither her nor there. It's quite possible the outcome would have been the same without Fuhrman, as a "make-up" for the Rodney King fiasco.

Anyways, I wanted to share with you my own story of how some people are crooked. Police officers have a difficult and thankless job, even more so today. I respect many of them and especially the ones in Vegas, who have to put up with a lot more nonsense on the strip than you or I would if we were in a position of authority. Regardless of that, there are still some bad apples out there, and when the law is concerned, that can really hurt you.

On a winter night in early 2009, after officiating a basketball game and stopping for two beers and a burger with referee friends, I was driving home. I was pulled over by a state trooper who said I was going too fast on the highway on-ramp. This he did not put in the police record, but instead gave the reason for the stop that I was driving 67 in a 60 (which I was not). At this point he said he smelled alcohol on me and ran field sobriety tests.

He asked why my eyes appeared bloodshot. I responded that I had my contacts in, the wind was blowing in my face, and I was due to take my glaucoma medication when I got home. Glaucoma can also show signs of nystagmus, which is what police look for in impaired drivers. The officer also performed the test incorrectly yet scored me with a fail.

Next, walk 9 steps heel to toe, turn around, and repeat. I did that fine. He scored me with a fail.

Third, stand on my left leg and count until he says stop. He asks me if anything will impair me from doing this. I respond that I have had multiple knee surgeries and my leg is a bit atrophied. He said do it anyways and I could not. I asked to stand on my right leg instead and I count all the way to one-thousand-twenty, then ask if I can stop. He says yes, and scored me with a fail.

He puts me in cuffs and administers a preliminary breath test. I blow .038. He still doesn't believe this and takes me to the cop shop for the official intoxilyzer test.

In my job, I run chemical testing all the time, so I watch him bumble through the process, incorrectly setting up the instrument and wiping the sensors down with items that are contamination risks. There I blow a .10 and am arrested for DUI.

Here I will interject two things. First, all of this is on video from the trooper's dash cam, and all of the intoxilyzer testing is on audio from a microphone attached to the trooper. Second, I found out later that this trooper is a "DUI All-Star" in the state of Minnesota. "All-Stars" are determined based upon the number of DUI arrests they make each year, and are awarded with prizes and trips to Minnesota Twins games.

To be continued...

2. TriggerMN

TriggerMN
    Expand Collapse
    The Norwegian Hammer

Trips to Vegas:
    The next morning when I am released, I immediately call my attorney and explain what happened. He gets a hold of the video and audio streams. Being I am a mentor to him in officiating, and seeing that he has a winnable DUI case (which is rare), he agrees to take on the case for about 30% of what I would normally be paying. And let me tell you, lawyer fees add up in a hurry.

About this same time, Minnesota is in the process of changing all of their intoxilyzers to upgraded instrumentation. In addition, the manufacturers would not allow attorneys to the source code for the instruments, which show the science behind the test and if the instrument is reading results properly. On top of that, the instrument only reads one standard so there is no proof of linearity (I'll stop with the science geek-stuff now). Basically, defense teams have no way to determine if the instrument is accurate. For almost five years I wait for this to be resolved, as the case goes all the way to the state supreme court. They rule by a 5-4 tally that the manufacturer does not have to make public its source code. In addition, the results are most likely not accurate, but they are "accurate enough" and thus can continue to be used in court.

Six years after being arrested, my case finally goes to trial. The six jurors hear arguments from both sides, hear from DUI experts from both the prosectuion and the defense, and are allowed to ingest the audio and video. The case takes about 3 1/2 days and then goes to the jury.

The jury deliberates for about 6 hours and we are called back into the courtroom. They have sent a note out to the judge stating they cannot come to a consensus. The judge tells us, time-wise, this is already very long for a DUI deliberation, but he orders them to continue. Back out we go and wait some more. After 4 more hours of deliberation, at 11PM, we are called back to the courtroom again. They still have come no closer to a verdict. The judge orders everyone to go home and come back in the morning for more deliberation.

The next day the jury takes an additional 4 hours (making 14 total) and sends another note out to the judge. They're still stuck. The judge declares a mistrial, the first one in at least 30 years in my county for a DUI case. After I leave the courtroom, the attorneys are allowed to ask the jurors how they voted and why. It turns out the vote was 5-1 in my favor, and one person refused to budge, the argument being that even though I had only two beers, they could have been some obscure malt beverage with a 15% alcohol volume, which could have put me over the legal limit.

Peers from all over the United States are calling my attorney and congratulating him. I'm not as happy, since this now means that there will be another trial. We're put back on the trial calendar about 8 months away. About 6 months later, the prosecution finally decides not to waste any more of the taxpayers' money on a losing case, and offers an agreement. I need to pay a non-conviction fee about about $500, remain law abiding for one year (I was originally!!!!) and take an 8-hour chemical dependency class.

After 7 years, it's worth it to me for it to go away, so we accept the deal. I go to the class, and they boot me out the door after about 4 hours. "This class is for people who have problems. Obviously you don't. Go home and live your life."

In the end I still lost my license, had to pay a reinstatement fee, take an enhanced driver's test, get a new license, miss about two weeks of work for court visits and the trial, and ended up spending close to $10,000 altogether, all for something I was innocent of. 7 years of worry so that some cop could try and pad his stats.

3. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

His brother or cousin probably works as a State Trooper in my state next to you, the one that put the cuffs on me when he badgered me about getting 'his' interstate opened and when I finally came down off the tanker truck I was drilling, I took off my PPE in a fit of rage and threw it down at his feet and told him to chill out and leave me the F*** alone. Unfortunately, he classified my actions as an assault upon a law enforcement officer and took me to the state police barracks'. Of course, the district commander in charge at the barracks, chastised the trooper and immediately took me back to the scene and explained it away as the guy is a rookie and should have known the interstate was to be tied up all day. Of course, the commander said there would be no charges. But we all know, it was my Bronx attitude and personality that the Midwest isn't used to at all.

On the way to see my wife and kids at our other residence in the 'tonka's' I was stopped for speeding (6 over) along Highway 12 there a couple weeks ago. After about a 10 minute lecture, I got my one and only warning in the state of MN for a moving violation. He followed me all the way from 12 and 494 into Mound and then backed off. LOL.

#3 Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  4. UCLA Girl

UCLA Girl
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

DUI offenses in Los Angeles are down thanks to ride sharing companies. This has led to cops issuing more moving violations since they can no longer depend on a late night DUI to give them their overtime. They hope that stopping as many vehicles as they can will lead to someone who is driving without insurance, on a suspended license, etc so that they are able to clock in overtime

5. riders

riders
    Expand Collapse
    DSTP Degenerate

Trips to Vegas:
    I think most cops get enough overtime without looking for it ... then again, there are some people in all professions that look for ways to abuse their positions... I just think most in LE are not that way.

6. UCLA Girl

UCLA Girl
    Expand Collapse

Salaries for police officers in California are posted online and you see a breakdown of how much they are paid. It lists their salary, overtime, how much is paid into their medical plan, how much does towards their pension, etc. there are some that have around $1k in overtime. Then there are those who are earning 1.5 times their salary in overtime. Making an arrest just before your shift is over adds an extra 3 or 4 hours to that shift. I've had some tell me that they will make sure that they aren't on the schedule to work if they have to go to court. That means that they will accrue overtime by having to go to court on their day off.

Their pension is based on their salary., so those who know that they will be milking the system for overtime will put in as much as they can into their pension and live off of overtime. This is why there are cops today who are retiring with $100k+ a year pensions.

The above wouldn't work in every municipality. There are some municipalities who try to avoid overtime. One way they do this is by partnering cops up with someone who is going to get off at a different time. This allows the person who is getting off later to deal with the paperwork in the event that an arrest is made right before the other partner is scheduled to go home

7. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

I have meet a few of the biggest asshole cops there are that should be locked up in jail and if not that, then beaten with a wooden cane for some of the shit that they have done on the job. HOWEVER, that is the fewest and few in between of all police officers nationwide.

In all seriousness, I was only a few miles away from the WTC on 9-11-2001 sitting on ROute 22 in New Jersey watching hundreds of marked, unmarked and regular civilian vehicles flying westbound doing well in excess of 80-90MPH with flashers on, etc. All heading to the WTC. Hundreds of them voluntary and paid Jersey firefighters or NYC firefighters that lived in nearby Jersey. Also, cops, ambulance drivers, paramedics, hospital workers, etc. Without dragging this out, many cops went running up into the WTC also and the only ones doing that was Firefighters and cops, no one else. And hundreds of them died and left behind their children and wives with no husband.

Also, 99.99% of all cops will go running through a door with unknown circumstances on the other side, or pull over a vehicle that is driving recklessly in your neighborhood and he might have just prevented your kids from being fucking run over. And those same cops get their ass blown the fuck away when they run through a door because someone might need their help to stay alive or when they pull over that vehicle they get blown the hell away. The list goes on.

Not many people at all will continually put their lives in consent danger like your everyday cop does. At least in Compton, East LA, Harlem, South Bronx, East New York, Newark, Liberty City (pork and beans) Miami, etc., so if they can screw the system out of a few thousand bucks a year or so, god bless them. It's better than having a crooked politician pay off his cousin in the garbage business on false contracts or some other city vendor that sucks ass to all kinds of other city politicians.

Thanks.

8. riders

riders
    Expand Collapse
    DSTP Degenerate

Trips to Vegas:
    Obviously, you know more than I do on these number as I have never looked at a website on what they are making. I just have to stop listening to my brother, dad and many other LE friends in CA (including LASD, LAPD and some NorCal departments.) I just don't think it is as bad as you made it sound but as I admitted, there are always few in every profession that give others a bad name. And trust me, cops have many of their own faults and are not saints.

9. UCLA Girl

UCLA Girl
    Expand Collapse

I don't think that it's a "bad" thing to milk the system for overtime. I just know that brass has been on them about giving tickets because the revenue from DUI offenses are down. The money has to come from somewhere.

10. pressitagain

pressitagain
    Expand Collapse
    VB DEGENERATE Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Wow.
    Wow. I can't believe he pulled you over to begin with. In Ontario, it's ALMOST unheard of, to get pulled over within the city limits at 10mph over(highway is 15mph).

The second Wow is, the time it took for it all to end. We have a reasonable time limit (from start to finish for a trial). If something is going to drag on in the courtroom (from start to finish), the judge will throw the entire case out.....charges are dropped.