Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Commuting

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Chris, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Chris

Chris
    Expand Collapse
    Lethal
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    For those of you with day jobs, how long is your commute? Depending on which house I'm coming from I've either got 20 minutes through city traffic or an hour and 20 minutes of highway/interstate. I'm thinking about selling my house in the city and moving to the country full time. Maintaining two houses for the last 9 years has started to drain my energy, and am thinking about downsizing. Do you ever get tired of an hour long commute?

2. SDSteve

SDSteve
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

20 minutes each way. I don't think I could deal with an hour each way...

3. geoff

geoff
    Expand Collapse
    Professional nerd, amateur provocateur
    Founder's Club

35-40 minutes in the morning if traffic isn't bad (usually ok)
    45-1:15 on the way home due to traffic (same route reversed)

4. topcard

topcard
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I live 45 miles from work... used to run me 60-70 minutes in the morning and about the same in the afternoon... but then, a new toll-road opened that has an exit within a mile of home. It now takes about 45 minutes each way. Of course, that comes with a price - about $10 a day for me & the wife.

Living this far away was an intentional choice - it allowed us to continue affording private school for our kids and for Mrs. Topcard to continue as a stay-at-home mom. The house we bought was literally half the cost of similar homes closer to my workplace.

Now that the mortgage is paid off, I'm actually wanting to sell & move closer to work, but the wife is adamant about staying... go figure.

5. Tye

Tye
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    8 minutes to work, 3 left turns.
    6 minutes to get home, 3 right turns.

6. smartone

smartone
    Expand Collapse
    Premium Member

Trips to Vegas:
    Except for the 6-8 days a month I travel the west visiting clients, my commute now entails walking the 50 feet or so from our bedroom to my home office. Life is good!

7. gmille58

gmille58
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker Extraordinaire
    Founder's Club

When we moved back to the Seattle area, when looking at houses and traffic issues, we ended up going a little higher on the house price (~10-15%) for the shorter commute. The 'cheaper' area that we were looking at was about twice as far from my office, but commute time would have been 3x or more. We have a few more years of the kids in school, then we may look at moving if we find the dream house at the right price.

8. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

15 miles to work, through a small town, 4 lane divided highway tot he interstate, 1 exit about 1 mile on the I-state at the final point. Maybe 13-14 minuets if I don't rush through the town.

9. mjames1229

mjames1229
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I am currently a consultant (read: highly paid temp) that is placed at a company 14 miles from home. 30 minutes to work on the freeway, 35 on the way home through the city streets. Unrelated side note, my route home takes me past the gas station that was torched in the Milwaukee riots this weekend (
    You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login
    You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login
    Register or Login
    ). Passed it every day for about three months until....

About two weeks ago, the company in which I am assigned transferred my contract to downtown Milwaukee. 15 minutes (tops) to and from home.

And especially now, I am really hoping I don't get sent back to the corporate office... I'll need another rout home.