Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

CLT Airport Any Tips?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by RTG10, Mar 2, 2016.

1. RTG10

RTG10
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Hi Guys,

Due to busting my nuts for me and the Mrs to fly to Vegas First Class twice last year using Airmiles, I've officially got to travel coach! I've booked with American to fly from London to Dublin, Dublin to Charlotte, Charlotte to Vegas. I booked American as with OneWorld Sapphire Membership (BA Silver) you get free seat choices in premium rows with extra leg room etc, unfortunately no Main Cabin Extra on those flights or that too would have been free.

Anyone got any tips for Charlotte airport? The wife and I have a relatively comfortable 3.5 hr layover so any tips on good food / drinks etc. would be appreciated. I think I will need it after the 8 hrs in economy it takes to get there!

2. geoff

geoff
    Expand Collapse
    Professional nerd, amateur provocateur
    Founder's Club

I haven't been since the usair/American merger, but if you can get into the lounge it was one of the best us air had (still nothing compared to international airline lounges, but not bad)

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K.
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    My advice would be to make sure you have a good amount of layover time,which it seems you do. I had to literally run across the entire terminal to catch a connection and barely made it. It was supposed to be a 1 hr layover and we landed late with a 5 minute layover. Almost the whole plane was connecting so they held it but had they not i would have been SOL.

4. RTG10

RTG10
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    I had exactly that experience at DFW, we managed to put a shift in and get to the gate with a minute to spare. Others from our plane ambled along and arrived 30 minutes late but they held the plane due to the number of connections

I know that with the OW alliance we effect line access when we travel internationally but I'm not sure if thats the case when my second flight is domestic but thanks for the heads up.

5. wigwam_timeshares

wigwam_timeshares
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

This may astound you but some AA international flights don't have seat back entertainment. In any class. I spent five minutes thinking I was part of an elaborate hoax on a Manchester to Boston flight last year. Check with seatguru if you're going to need to entertain yourself for 7 hours because the communal entertainment on overhead screens was garbage like million dollar listing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. lotso-bear

lotso-bear
    Expand Collapse

Have to go through Customs/Immigrations and re-clear security. 3.5 hours should be plenty of time to make the connection unless your inbound plane gets in late. CLT is a pretty simple airport though so it shouldn't be an issue. They have a few Admirals Clubs there but if you're paying for entrance I'd use the $50 per person fee at a real sit-down restaurant instead for a few drinks and real food.

7. geoff

geoff
    Expand Collapse
    Professional nerd, amateur provocateur
    Founder's Club

Yeah the club is certainly not worth $50pp.. At least last time I was there it was beer&wine only cash bar for liquor.. And food was lame

8. wrobinson32

wrobinson32
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Several new bars opened up in CLT that are pretty good. It's an easy airport to move around in so 3.5 hrs will be more then enough time to clear customs and relax for a few.

9. SKE

SKE
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    As a OneWorld Sapphire you will have access to the Admiral’s club in CLT on your way to and from DUB even flying in economy. As others have mentioned, the food is sparse and the free drinks are limited to bud/bud light and rail liquor but the atmosphere and comfort level is certainly better than the general terminal. There are two clubs, the larger and better of the two sits between the C and D terminals.

For food I’d recommend Bad Daddy’s Burgers in terminal C. It is a Charlotte area restaurant that serves a very decent burger and has local beer on tap. The 1897 Market between terminal A and B also offers a great selection of local beer, can’t speak to the food but the bar set up is nice.

10. wrobinson32

wrobinson32
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Agreed about Bad Daddys. Kitchen is same as the normal locations. Really solid burgers!