Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

City or Country Kid.?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hugo Hackenbush, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Hugo Hackenbush

Hugo Hackenbush
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I was born and raised a city kid. Played lots of stick ball and baseball and touch football on the street and threw lots of eggs at houses on Halloween.
    Took the bus and subway everywhere and back then we didn't even lock the front door....

Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to grow up in the country and wear straw hats and overalls and get up early to do the chores before school...Slower life has its upside sometimes.

Are you, or were you, a city kid or a country kid.? How has that molded your life.?

2. Tahoejoe

Tahoejoe
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    City Kid
    Dad left at 6. Mom and I lived with grandparents in center Philly(row house). Never seemed to worry about money. Played stick ball. Used the fire hydrant for a swimming pool. Had a pigeon for a pet. Candy was a penny each, could always find a nickel for 5 pieces of candy. Neighborhood was good. people were kind. I think it gave me a good core. Appreciated what I had.

3. MikeyBlacklabber

MikeyBlacklabber
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    well ,i ain't no country bumpkin as you preface,nor a city slicker like you profess...
    just a small town kid that has been around the block a bit...

ain't no moss on this old rolling stone

and still live here...

• Like Like x 1
  4. mjames1229

mjames1229
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I'm city folk.

If I can't be within 4 minutes of a freeway or 10 miles from a major league stadium, I don't know what I'd do.

5. gmille58

gmille58
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker Extraordinaire
    Founder's Club

I grew up 'in town' but a country kid. Lots of farm labor growing up, picking rock, moving irrigation pipe, prepping bins before harvest, driving grain trucks at harvest time, running the seed mill for all types of hay seed after harvest. Morning radio (am) had the daily spot prices on spring wheat, hard red winter wheat, barley, durham, beef, pork. There was always a polka tune leading into 8am. Paul Harvey on at noon and 5pm. High School sports was the weekend night get together for town. The town I grew up in had a population ~3000 people, gym seated almost 5000. Parent's knew what you were up to before you got home.

6. Breeze147

Breeze147
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    City kid. Philly. But I was fortunate to live in a section the Wissahickon part of Fairmount Park, so many days spent there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Aaronw915

Aaronw915
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Country kid who grew up in a holler in coal mine country of Southern West Virginia.

And may I ask....are you fucking serious about wearing straw hats and overalls? I hope not, because that is one of the most ignorant things I've read on this site in a long time. I never owned farm animals nor had chores to do before school. Fucking hell man just because someone is from the south doesn't make them slow and uneducated or mean they dress up like this jackass everyday.

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K.
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Suburb kid, raised by MTV and hot pockets.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hoofy7

Hoofy7
    Expand Collapse
    AKA HeatherE

Small town most of my "Wonder Years" where we drank out of the hose, caught lightning bugs, climbed trees, and rode our bikes everywhere! We played hide and seek (& spin the bottle) and our parents whistled or yelled when it was time to come home at night. We toilet papered our friends houses and went to every Friday night football game. We went swimming every day in the summer at our local city pool and dove off the high dive. If you had a tree house you ruled the neighborhood. Lol Now I live in the country and I am......
    You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

#9 Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Yankees4ever31

Yankees4ever31
    Expand Collapse
    Boy, the way Glenn Miller Played.....
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. Stick ball, stoop ball, Pizzerias, Italian Cafe's (no names lol), Candy stores w/VP in the basement, etc. Still live and work in NYC. I'm never leaving.

• Like Like x 1