Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Car rental from LA to Vegas

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Kolmeseiska, Sep 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kolmeseiska

Kolmeseiska
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    We've finally decided to visit other places as well during our vacation in the US and currently the plan for next May is to fly from Europe to LAX and spend a few days there and then drive around to various places before arriving in Vegas where we would leave the car. The thing is, I've never rented a car, ever. So this is kind of a gray area for me, especially since it's taking place 6000 miles away from home.

Our group has 4 people in it and there's gonna be a fucking massive load of luggage so we've decided to go for an Escalade. Any tips on where, when and how to get one and how much roughly am I looking at? Gonna land on Saturday and dump the car in Vegas the following Friday. Any tips, pros and cons are massively appreciated at this point.

Tags:
  2. wigwam_timeshares

wigwam_timeshares
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Going for an Escalade means you're unlikely to be able to use a budget rental place but check them anyway in case something else looks good to you.

Try to avoid picking up from the airport. Not only is it a hassle, it's also likely to be more expensive.

Make sure your insurance covers you for an international rental and don't take any additional stuff they offer you when you pick up.

It's recommended to have your international drivers license (you can get them for a few pounds or euros online from the official place) but I've never needed it either picking up a vehicle or when being pulled over by the police (it happens more than you think when you're new to driving in America - once was for rolling a stop sign at 1mph because I treated it like a give way junction).

Other than that, it's no different to renting a car in Europe. You'll need a credit card and you should really name all the drivers that will be driving the vehicle but honestly, I've never bothered.

It's worth paying for GPS if it doesn't come as standard. The Mojave valley is a big place and when you veer off the I15 to see stuff it's nice to have the safety blanket of knowing where you are. You're probably thinking your mobile phone can do the GPS duties but the signal isn't so great in that area depending on who you roam with and roaming data is slow. I get free worldwide coverage on Three network but even though it says I'm on LTE or 3G in the US it's dial up speeds all day. Apple maps navigation just about works, gMaps hardly.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    This is a GREAT opportunity to see one of the most unique -- and wildly varied -- landscapes on the planet ... our West. You could cruise up the California coast then across the Sierra and down to Vegas. Or bust east into AZ -- you could even route down the Orange County coast to San Diego and then head east -- and catch the Grand Canyon then loop around to the red rock splendor of southern Utah before heading down to Vegas. You could just OD on the desert and do some time in Palm Springs/the Coachella Valley before heading to Vegas the scenic back way across the Mojave. Options options options!

Go pick up a couple guidebooks and a good map of the American West, start putting stickies on the map as to what looks like something you'd like to experience, a route you'd like to consider, then come back here over and over and we'll kick it around with you.

(A caveat ... May should be OK, but you never know with snowfall or late storms, so some of the preferred routes/some of the sights might not be accessible. Nothing to fear/worry about, just something to have in your back pocket when the time arrives and you start planning actual routes.)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Firstkill

Firstkill
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Seems like a good idea,
    one way car rental might be a little more expensive, but I doubt its cheaper to fly with tons of luggage.
    If each person just has 1 suite case its likely cheaper to fly and just rent a car from the airport and return it to the airport.

if you need help or ideas let me know, I'm from los angeles area
    which part of Europe are you from?

5. Kolmeseiska

Kolmeseiska
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I'm from Finland. The plan is to drive to Vegas via Grand Canyon, yes I know it's a massive detour, but I'd rather get the driving part over with before arriving in Vegas. As for the LA part of the trip, I've actually let the other members of the party plan that as I'm in charge of the activities in Vegas. :)

Escalade might be out of question though, I'm not seeing it for less than $2,000 which quite frankly is way too much for me. We're gonna have 4 large suitcases and probably 2 carry on size bags + whatever the women bring on top of that so definitely gonna need a car with room for them.

6. Valgal

Valgal
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    The cheapest I have found is going through Costco website. All the major rental places come out less expensive through Costco. I see that the UK has Costcos. Not sure if other Eurpean countries do and if you would be able to rent a car here in the states through them. Try looking at Tahoe or Suburban rentals. They are nice vehicles and would be priced cheaper than an Escalade.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kolmeseiska

Kolmeseiska
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Thanks! I'll definitely look into those.

8. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Not a massive detour, a unique and memorable adventure. Just pretend you are a native son of western North America, where driving what seems to many like crazy long distances is just a normal thing. I just drove 3500 km to play golf for a week! Consider driving east to Phoenix on the 10 then north to Flagstaff, detouring through Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona. Lots to see and do around Flag and then it's a hop/skip to the South Rim.

You won't need that much vehicle for that much stuff. They aren't sexy but check out a minivan.

9. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I agree with the minivan. Probably a lot less expensive and can hold all the people and luggage easily. Escalades are high end, so the rental cost will be higher as well

10. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Even a midsize SUV would work unless everyone is NBA tall. Or a Taurus can swallow a load of stuff.