Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Cancelling a trip

Discussion in 'General Vegas Talk' started by Jinx, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Jinx

Jinx
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Let me preface this by saying that I understand the recommendations are going to lean to going based on the fanaticism of this group, but something I'm looking for input on.

I have a trip coming up in a week and a half. 4 day trip, utilizing the month split in order to double up on the monthly freebies I receive. Not a lot, but a some freeplay, food, etc. Trip is downtown so expenses are also fairly light compared to strip. Here are the issues, my superbowl trip sucked, some home life stuff has taken a toll on budget and mental state. The big reason my superbowl trip sucked is due to those things. While the situation has improved some from a mental standpoint, budget isn't where I'd like it to be and next couple months could see some financial impact negatively.

So given these vague reasons, would you still go? Concerns are I burn out my offers from a place I've gotten comfortable at and that I would have another crappy time. The positives are, it's Vegas, and in truth I could really use 4 days away from things right now, add in, fuck the budget, it will correct itself eventually.

On top of that, I guess outside of big emergencies,what type of reasons have you cancelled a trip for.

2. jonnyvegas

jonnyvegas
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Unless the home issues need you to be home, still go. Sounds like getting away would be helpful .
    Vegas is a blast on any kind of budget.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dreamsh!t

Dreamsh!t
    Expand Collapse
    Love craps, and beer!.
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Dont cancel. Take the trip!

Just chill out a few days in the middle to avoid a big hit to BR and to get some rest.
    Here's my 4 day chill agenda.

gamble day 1, relax on day 2 and 3, then a hit run on day 4.

When I return home I am not only somewhat refreshed but also happy that I have some money in the bank to put out any of life's little fires.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I'm not a deep-thinker in such matters, and of course no one has a clue the depth and impact of the concerns/impediments you cite. We change plans -- outside those matters that demand you change -- if it's just not feeling right or something else comes up or maybe we just want to stay home; things change. The thing is, that next trip is always out there. I'm not a big believer in the idea that if I don't get away NOW I'm going to implode, mostly because that next opportunity to get away is just around the corner so why not deal with the at-home stuff now and not have it hanging around as a yoke on the excursion.

5. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Jinx, it is always good to get away, but home should come first. If home life can take care of itself for a few days, then go ahead and go. As Ken mentioned, Vegas is always there, you can always reschedule if this isn't the perfect time for a trip.

• Like Like x 1
  6. shifter

shifter
    Expand Collapse
    Degenerate Gambler
    The Chairman

Trips to Vegas:
    I've canceled or postponed trips just because it didn't feel right even without any legitimate reason to do so.

only you know if a trip is a good idea right now with the stuff you've got going on, or it would be better done later.

try to figure out if you're just feeling low and a bit snake-bit after the last sucky trip or if you really just aren't feeling it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. topcard

topcard
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Go.
    Downtown being a completely different "animal" than the strip, your budget as well as your frame-of-mind will be impacted differently as well.
    There is nothing quite like Vegas for pure escapism - and stress must be the #1 reason for needing temporary 'escape'.
    So, yeah - go...enjoy...leave home-troubles behind (until you return).

• Like Like x 1
  8. DaaaaaaBears

DaaaaaaBears
    Expand Collapse
    PUSH THE BUTTON
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Speaking from a recent experience, I would say cancel. I had a lot going on in my life and tried to make the best out of a recent trip I had planned on taking for a while. I made the trip, but I wasn't mentally in it. Things took a turn for the worse while I was there and I regretted even going.

It took me over fifty trips to learn, but Las Vegas will always be there. Go when you're ready.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jinx

Jinx
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Excellent feedback all, really appreciate it. The home piece isn't changing any time soon, lovely separation on the path to divorce, the good thing I guess is it was my initiation and dealing with the fallout has been biggest challenge, which is why I look at a trip away by myself for four days as something that might be beneficial. I am going to keep thinking about it though, I've also considered just taking 3-4 days somewhere else and shelving Vegas until it feels right again.

10. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Jinx, I can't remember where you are from, I think somewhere in the upper Midwest? Anyway, if the weather permits or you have areas close by, maybe think about a hiking / camping trip for a few days as an option - getting out into nature, without the sights and sounds of the city, as it is a great way to clear your head and be able to do a lot of clear-headed thinking, and soul-searching. I swear you will find out more about yourself and what you want out of life by spending a few days in the peace and quiet of the woods. No cell phones, TV, distractions, etc.

• Like Like x 2