Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

As We Age,,, Gaining Weight.!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hugo Hackenbush, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Hugo Hackenbush

Hugo Hackenbush
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I'm in my mid 60's and I've found gaining weight has come too-too-too easy and fast as I get older. All the "GOOD" food that is "BAD" for us just seems to taste better and I want more of it. Food seems to like me cause it seems to want to stay with me and not go away.

I'm on a big diet now and since March 1st I've lost 77 pounds... I have 35 more to lose. I did this several years ago and then gained it all back and then some.
    It seems that food is such a comfort and we all like comfort. When I go to the buffets in Vegas I can see the managers just cringe when they see me....
    One manager yelled to his staff to put the Prime Rib back in the kitchen when he saw me enter the buffet. Another time I overheard the manager telling his staff " There he goes again" when I made numerous trips up to the buffet lines.
    So how about a yous guys, has weight crept up on you a little too, and how do you handle it.???
    regards,
    Hugo

2. smartone

smartone
    Expand Collapse
    Premium Member

Trips to Vegas:
    I hope you're just being self-deprecating about the buffet comments! I hear ya on the weight thing though. I weighed 215 in college (I'm a tad over 6'), but now hit the scales at 305. I just turned 58 a few weeks back. I congratulate you on the fortitude to have lost it, gained it back and now fighting the battle again!!! I've never been a big "one-sitting" eater. I seem to get full pretty quickly, but my problem is, I can eat again in a couple hours and often do. I work out frequently (4-5 times per week), but am now experiencing lower-back issues which makes that more difficult. I know at my age, my body is starting to break-down and can't handle that kinda weight anymore, not that it was ever good for it. I'm with ya in the struggle brutha and wish you the best!

3. DaaaaaaBears

DaaaaaaBears
    Expand Collapse
    PUSH THE BUTTON
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Exercise more.

4. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Good for you on the weight loss. That's a lot to lose in such a short time period.

5. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I've had the excess weight on for years now, and I've been rather constant at the peak for a few decades. I'm on no maintenance meds, either. It's funny, it being such a simple formula but for many of us we just seem to lack that particular type of "smarts" to do what we know we need to do. Less in, more exercise. But it truly takes a particular discipline. (And, ironically, when you do start making progress you want to make more progress.)

I'm riding my bike about 50 miles a week now and I need to get that up to 100. I prefer to walk when playing golf. We have a state park right next to us and the roads and trails there are a great walk. Terri jogs on the path around our development and I power-walk along with her. That's not much in the grand scheme but that I've been able to at least not get more obese owes everything to the fact that we are rather active. But, damn, we just love to cook and eat and go out, we love our drink.

A prescription? Well, this physician can't exactly heal himself but here goes: Screw the buffets. If management sees you as a glutton ... Eat good fats; the body cannot survive without fat. Watch the obvious carbs and demon alcohol. If you play golf and can't walk 18 yet, then play 9 and walk. If you have time to walk the 'hood or wherever for 20 minutes then make it 30 instead, and do it multiple times/week. Find a bud or sponsor who will kick your ass if you aren't checking in with regular workout news. Get that old bike out of the garage. Don't eat after 6 pm or 7 pm. Learn how to cook; if you're going to get calories, make them really tasty calories, and you will cut out a lot of that nasty salt and hollow calories that are the cornerstone of the canned, prepared and frozen-food aisles.

CONGRATS on that awesome weight loss and continued good luck!!

6. Hugo Hackenbush

Hugo Hackenbush
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I went to this web site that gives you your RMR,,, Resting Metabolic Rate...... THat takes into account you gender, height-current weight-and activity level and gives you a number RMR.....RMR is how many calories your body burns daily at a sedentary level with activities such as breathing, digesting food, and just doing bare bones activity.

With this RMR number we then subtract the ACTUAL calories we eat that day and then divide that # by 3500... 3500 is the amount of calories in one pound.
    Example..... say my RMR # is 2500 calories and I eat 1000 calories that day,,,,,, I subtract 2500 minus 1000 = 1500.... then divide 1500 by 3500=calories lost or burned that day. this example is .43 pounds lost that day.... now times 30 days = 30 x .43= 13 pounds lost this month. It is all scientific, not emotional....I know everyday how much I will lose that day......I control it.

One of the tricks is to get the biggest bang for the buck... translated the most nutrition with the least amount of calories. Lots of fat free greek yogurt and chicken breast and coconut water...........
    here is link for RMR
    You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

But emotionally it is hard as I love the same foods as Breeze loves. Hopefully ,, when I reach my goal weight I can have weekends of splurging and then doing my RMR during the week to keep weight even....

Knowing my RMR was very helpful for me and after losing the first 30 pounds motivation becomes easier.
    Why can't we all be skinny naturally from birth till death ?????

Hugo

7. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Seriously, binge/purge?

8. Ketelmaster

Ketelmaster
    Expand Collapse
    aka 98Seahawk
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Congrats! Keep it going!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hugo Hackenbush

Hugo Hackenbush
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Never. That's how Karen Carpenter dies... By splurge I mean having drinks and some snacks and maybe a little not so nutritious food. Then during the week return to more modest healthy eating .... Hopefully this gives a balance to maintain even weight and still satisfy my human food likes too...

Ken, look up your RMR # and then get a blank notebook and write down the healthy foods that you wish to eat...... read labels and write down the calories-protein-carbs-fats-fiber of you 15 favorite foods..... Then make a daily menu for yourself for a two week timeframe. Add the calories to be consumed for each day and then use the calculation I gave in my above post and you can dictate your daily weight loss.....

Remember Ken that we need sodium in our diets. We just eat too much sodium.... Without sodium we would die. We need between 500 to 700 mg. of sodium per day and should limit at 1200 mg. per day....Over 1200 mg. and we retain water and increase blood pressure....It takes 25 days to remove 95% of our bodily sugar and 35 days to remove 85% of sodium.... These two alone increase cortisol which retains bely fat.... Potassium acts to aldo rid our body of excess sodium Pure coconut water has 500 mg. potassium per glass excellent,, and only 45 calories...

• Like Like x 1
  10. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    "Human food likes"??? lol

Umm, well, yep. That's what I'm saying, why get loads of salt in shitty prepared foods?

You know the adage, shop from the perimeter of the grocery store.

• Agree Agree x 1