Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Any bicyclists here

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ken2v, Feb 8, 2016.

1. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    ???

2. geoff

geoff
    Expand Collapse
    Professional nerd, amateur provocateur
    Founder's Club

Worked at a bike shop in highschool, Raced mountain bikes in college, now take the road bike out every now and then (tt bike even less often)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    used to be heavy into Mountain biking years ago. Would put up with the steep climbs just to get to the fun single track trails heading down. Used to also go to Mammoth Mtn and locally to Snow Summit during the summer months and mountain bike there. gave it up maybe 10 years ago?? Would love to start road biking, but just don't have the time.................................

4. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    You know me, man, round and rotund. I'm trying to pedal my way back to some semblance of health. I only ride 20-30 at a spell but I need to get my mileage up and reps as I've signed up for the Solvang Half next month. I'd suggest we meet for rides but we can't even figure out how to tee it up. We're going to Chico in April for the (short) Wildflower. Terri got me a Rocky Mountain hardtail for my birthday, too. Only used it to buzz around the state park by the mission, however.

5. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    It's hard to find the time already for all my current hobbies, especially golf. If I'm bike riding, then I'm not golfing, and I prefer golf at the moment for my spare time

6. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    You need to delegate more!

7. Cross

Cross
    Expand Collapse
    Wishing I was in Vegas
    Founder's Club

I like to hit the singletrack mountain bike trails. With two young active kids (hockey, lacrosse, T ball and swimming lessons) don't get out as much as I would like.

8. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

Cant do in the winter but I have a nice Cannondale Raven mountain bike. Also recently bought a Schwinn for the not so nice days for a quick ride.

#7 Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  9. undathesea

undathesea
    Expand Collapse
    Elitist & Least Tits
    Founder's Club Master Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    I own two road bikes: A Cervelo S2 (my primary) with SRAM components and a Fuji Roubaix (my old trustee) with Shimano components. I used to think a moron would willingly ride SRAM until I bought my Cervelo... now I can't believe I ever rode Shimano.

Both bikes have speedplay peddles on them. Team Cervelo rides speedplay, why shouldn't I?

10. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    I rode a lot in college, had an A-D Columbus-tube and the first iteration of the Allez that I built up myself. Then I quit. I made an abortive attempt at this 15 or so years ago and bought a POS entry-level Cannondale. Logically doubting my dedication to this, in 2013 I dumped the R400 and bought a Felt Z85; in other words, a big step up but not a full step -- also a better step than into an "entry" carbon frame. I now have a real attachment with my Felt, something I think folks get to with a bike at a certain point; I'm riding enough now to be at that point. I almost feel disloyal thinking about a replacement down the line.

SRAM, Shimano, Campy -- I'll not summarily diss any. Each has proponents and opponents. Some seem to have better value than others depending on where the groupset falls in the hierarchy. It is nice to be off Tiagra, I will say.

Organized rides really has Terri into this, and we did one in Indio in the fall and the Palm Springs one a few weeks back. She doesn't have a background at all in cycling -- she still reminds me of the time I took her DH riding at Mammoth a few years ago -- so it's still new and she's still not totally comfy with the road. She was very happy to dump the K2 road bike and clips for more of a hybrid. It's heavy and she doesn't push many gears but she loves her bike and is enjoying it, and that's what it is all about. Works limits her rides but she wants to do more and she wants to do longer rides. The Wildflower 30 in April will be her longest. And she wants a jersey! That's a sure sign.

11. undathesea

undathesea
    Expand Collapse
    Elitist & Least Tits
    Founder's Club Master Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    You are correct about not being able to sell an old bike. I've had my Fuji for about 10 years and I'm just now comfortable enough that I would sell it. I haven't ridden it in at least 5 years.

My girlfriend begged me to ride with her all of last year and I always made excuses not to. I had my Fuji on long term loan and so I took her to buy a bike a few years ago and she got a hybrid. I begged her not to get a hybrid... hybrids can't keep up with road bikes or mountain bikes. It's like the worst of both worlds combined into one bike. Needless to say, she bought one and she loves it. Some people are just meant for hybrids, I guess.

But, riding with her is such a pain and a bore for me. She doesn't ride her bike much faster than it takes me to coast along on the S2. Don't get me wrong. Some rides are intended to be slow and long to train your heart. I get that. But when I can't even get my heart into zone 2, it's really just a waste of time for me.

But, I just got my Fuji back on Saturday evening. I'd loaned it to a girl I've known for a very long time and she's pregnant and unable to ride at this point. So, it's being passed on to the current girlfriend along with its clipless peddles. I would assume come March-ish, we'll try some nice short 10-15 milers to see how she feels on it. I'm hoping she gets acclimated very quickly to the clipless peddles and they don't scare her too much. Unfortunately, clipless peddles are something you have to experience to use correctly and there's no amount of mental preparation that can get someone ready to use them. You just have to fall over a few times before it's burned into your head and becomes natural to unclip at stops. We shall see how she fares.

I might even break out the video camera to catch her first few rides on film. :)