Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Recap Another Fun-Filled Family Trip: Luxor 1/2-1/4

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by M_ILIS, Jan 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. M_ILIS

M_ILIS
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Prelude: In mid-November while I was on my golf trip to Vegas, my wife went on a second interview for a job and earned herself the position. However, due to various circumstances, she doesn’t officially begin working until later this month (January). So while mulling this over a couple days after Christmas, it dawned on me that with her taking on a new five-day-a-week responsibility, the prospect of future trips to Vegas is questionable at best for the near future. With my daughter off school until January 9 for this year’s late Christmas break and with free rooms at Luxor available from myVEGAS, we decided to make another quick getaway to Vegas, even if it needed to be a budget-minded trip right after Christmas.

My wife and I each snagged a free room night from myVEGAS and then grabbed a few other rewards: $25 Luxor freeplay for me, a free Luxor dinner buffet and a BOGO dinner buffet. So with tempered expectations, we agreed to eat one dinner at MORE, the buffet at Luxor. When considering the other dinner, I remembered I had some credits with Restaurant.com and noticed there was a $25 certificate toward a $50 meal at Naked City Pizza, so we decided upon that for our other dinner. I also got a few myVEGAS rewards from Uniquely Vegas for a go-cart driving place called Pole Position: One free adult race, one BOGO adult race and one free youth race.

We didn’t have many other plans but a few fun activities materialized throughout the trip. Off we go…

Tags:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. M_ILIS

M_ILIS
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Day One: Monday, January 2, 2017
    We left home a little before 10:00 and made a quick pit stop in Barstow for lunch. On our way back out to the car, we saw this dashing couple chillin’ in their RV:

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login
    by
    You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Keeping things weird, somewhere around Baker we saw this spaceship cloud:

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Traffic was a breeze (thank God we were going North; Southbound looked like a fucking nightmare) and we arrived at Luxor around 2:30. By 2:45 we were checked in and unpacking in our room. The front desk offered some pretty tantalizing upgrades – refreshed “Cleo” room for $20/nt. or Pyramid jacuzzi suite for only $30/nt., but seeing we were trying to keep this trip easy on the wallet, we just stuck with our standard Pyramid room. Our room assignment was “Aces kicker,” hopefully a sign of good things to come at the VP machines later:

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

We hung out in the room for awhile watching the Rose Bowl and took turns going downstairs to redeem our myVEGAS rewards at the Mlife desk. I also added to our plans a bit: First I called the Saxe Theater at the Miracle Mile Shops and bought tickets for Tuesday’s 4:00 pm Nathan Burton Comedy Magic show. They originally quoted me $59+fees for each ticket, but then they matched the Groupon price of $12.50 each. I hope no one’s paying that full price. I also booked a 7:00 tee time for Tuesday morning at Las Vegas National Golf Club. At a certain point it looked to me like Penn State had taken control of the Rose Bowl, so we bailed for dinner and I kind of forgot about the game.

Naked City Pizza was originally a part of Moondoggie’s Bar, but next door they have a “family friendly” section (which once was home to Desnudo Tacos, a really tasty Mexican place we enjoyed a few years ago). After we ordered our $50 feast – Caesar salad, small cheese pizza for our daughter, medium “Back Home” pizza for us, Paper Bag Zeppoles and a few sodas, I went next door to Moondoggie’s to get my wife a beer. It was then I saw SC came back and won the Rose Bowl! Crazy! Wish I’d DVR’d it.

Naked City had a cool video game console with a bunch of great old school games on it: Ms. Pac Man, Frogger, Donkey Kong, etc., so we had fun playing that while waiting for our food. It’s extremely casual in there, and we had a good time.

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

The Caesar arrived and it was fantastic. The pizzas followed suit, and the Zeppoles were fun too – chewy fried dough tossed in powdered sugar. All in all, I highly recommend Naked City Pizza and I’d love to return to sample more of the menu. Our “Back Home” pizza had something somewhat unusual – they mix the red sauce with the mozzarella so it becomes one – not quite cheese, and not quite a thick sauce, but somewhere in between. While the pizza was delicious, I sorta missed that toothsome cheese layer atop the pie.

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Next stop was a return to Circus Circus for our daughter. It had been quite a few trips since we’d taken her there, so that was fun and she was super excited. Pro Tip: If you’re gonna play the Midway games, take a $100 bill to the office and break it in their machine. The machine will dispense 10 $10 bills and a clerk will give you a bunch of 2-for-1 game coupons. My daughter scored a whole big trash bag full of stuffed animals and had a great time. My wife loves Ms. Pac Man and set the high score on the machine in the arcade. She also had fun playing this “World’s Largest” Pac Man game:

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

When I bought the Nathan Burton tickets, they told me the earlier I pick them up, the better our seats will be, so we stopped at the Saxe/V Theater combined box office on the way back to Luxor. Like every other time I’ve stood in this line, it moved with all the swiftness of a crippled snail. For one thing, their computer system seems overcomplicated for just selling show tickets, and the other thing is the clerks try to upsell at every opportunity. I swear you can buy a car in less time than you can finalize a ticket purchase from these two theaters. Anyway, we got our tickets and didn’t have to arrive absurdly early before the show the next day. (They told me on the phone to arrive “no later than one hour prior.” No thanks.)

When we returned to the room, my wife and I decided I’d go gamble first because I had to get up around 5:30 for golf in the morning. I used my $25 freeplay on a 50-play nickel DDB machine, playing just one hand at a time. I hit one quad but eventually lost the whole $25.

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

I returned to the room and my wife then went to gamble. She turned $20 into a $30 TITO in the span of about an hour or so. I finally fell asleep around 2:00 am to close out a fun-filled first day.

• Like Like x 3
  3. M_ILIS

M_ILIS
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Day Two: Tuesday, January 3, 2017
    I’d been mulling over the Las Vegas National tee time for a few days prior to the trip, so I’d called them and they said they’d been having frost delays almost every day for the last month. I knew my 7:00 tee time would put me first on the course whenever they started, but fortunately there was no frost delay when I arrived.

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

However, the pro shop guy told me there was a shotgun tournament starting at 8:00 and that I’d run into them eventually. They sent me off by myself a few minutes before 7:00 and I played the front nine in 1:10, only to arrive at No. 10 to find a group had just teed off and two more waiting on the tee. To the course’s credit, the starter offered to let me play the front nine again but I’d never been there before, so I wanted to see the whole course. Eventually I ended up joining up with a threesome in the tournament and they were fun guys who are part of a large group of guys who play regularly throughout the Valley. They told me all about their group and invited me to join them next time I’m in town, so that was really cool. The course was in good shape and offered a pretty fun layout, even though it feels a little bland as a straightforward parkland layout amid all of Vegas’ dramatic desert courses. Here are some pics:

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

I finished by around 10:40, ran some errands and returned to Luxor by about 11:30. We had tons of pizza leftover from the night before, so that hit the spot for a tasty lunch. We hadn’t told our daughter about our plans for the go-carts at Pole Position, so we sprung that on her and hit the road to their NW Vegas location, somewhat near Santa Fe Station. (There’s another closer to the Strip, but that one requires temporary memberships for all drivers at an additional cost. This one doesn’t.) We arrived shortly after they opened at 1:00, and there was hardly anyone there. None of us had done anything like this before, so they walked us through the process, got us signed in and showed us an intro safety video. (BTW, using 3 different myVEGAS rewards, our total came to only $25 for two races for me, one for my wife and one for our daughter. Great deal and a fun way to use up those loyalty points if you’ve got ‘em!)

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

They had my wife and I race first, and also competing in that race were a few other (obviously experienced) racers. My wife and I stuck to the outside edges to not get in their way too much, but it was still a lot of fun. Then our daughter raced her race, which was so adorable. She was really nervous beforehand, but it was quickly evident she took right to it. She had her game face on and never looked at us when we waved as she zoomed by lap after lap.

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

I got to race my second race all by myself, which was a blast. I got a much better feel for it the second time around, and I improved on my first race results dramatically.

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

The whole thing was a lot of fun and my daughter is already talking about wanting to return. Pole Position has a Corona, CA location, so maybe we’ll have to check that out someday.

With some time to kill before the Nathan Burton show, I took the family down to Du-Par’s at the Golden Gate for a quick shrimp cocktail snack. Found a great parking spot on the street and we were in and out in about 15 minutes.

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

We arrived at Planet Hollywood just in time for the Nathan Burton show. We got a souvenir cup Gin & Tonic as well as a Coke for our daughter. Here was the view from our General Admission seats:

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

He’s a really great performer! Some of the tricks really blew us away. Nathan Burton’s specialty seems to be making things/people disappear and reappear, which he uses in a variety of illusions. It gets a bit repetitive at points, but the whole show is very fast-paced and high energy. Having seen several shows in this general genre now (Jeff Civillico, Mac King, Tommy Wind), it feels like there’s almost a formula taught at some school for aspiring mid-level magicians, which somewhat dilutes the overall impact of the show. However, I’d say Nathan Burton is very accomplished and would recommend the show to anyone, and especially those with kids.

After the show we retreated to Luxor and eventually made our way to the buffet. Going in with low expectations, it was actually pretty good. My strategy was to stick to the basics, and it worked out well for the most part. My wife was probably a little more adventurous than I was, but she enjoyed most of her meal as well. The worst thing I had was a slice of roast beef from the carving station, which was tough and flavorless. The best things I had were the fried chicken, ground beef tacos and lemon chicken. All of the salads and desserts I tried were pretty good, too. Using a couple myVEGAS rewards, we paid a total of $18+tip for three people, so no complaints here.

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

After dinner my daughter and I walked around for a bit and I took her up to the 27th floor to look down from near the top of the Pyramid.

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Having been up since 5:30, I was getting pretty tired and opted to gamble first again. I put $10 in the same nickel DDB machine from the previous night and hit quad 3s pretty quickly.

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

I played on that first $10 for probably 45 minutes before it was eventually all gone, and then another $10 bill vanished within just a couple more minutes. I knew my wife was eager to go gamble, so I called it a night and headed back to the room a $20 loser. My wife ended up playing a variety of games and lost about $17 of her $30 TITO from the previous night. It had definitely been a fun-filled, action-packed day!

4. M_ILIS

M_ILIS
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Day Three: Wednesday, January 4, 2017
    I awoke to a beautiful sunrise!

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

I then went back to sleep and we all slept until nearly 10:00 with 11:00 check-out quickly approaching. We packed ourselves up and said goodbye to Luxor as we headed to today’s destination/activity: snowplay on Mt. Charleston! My daughter hadn’t been in snow since she was very little, so she was extremely excited about this. We stopped a couple places on the way but quickly reached the Mt. Charleston turnoff from the 95, and then within 15-20 minutes we were in snow and found some parking and a beautiful recreational area. I had read that there was an entrance fee and paid parking most places, but wherever we ended up was all free. The drive out there was breathtaking, too:

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

We built a little snowman, had some snowball fights and walked around a bit. It was really gorgeous out there.

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

After maybe an hour, we were getting cold and a little wet, so we headed back to the car and back into town. We were all shocked at the ease of access to snow on this route. We expected it to take much longer to reach the snow and that we’d spend much of the day up there, but we were back in Vegas by probably 2:00. We all felt a bit weathered, however, and opted to just head home. First, though, we made a quick stop at Taco Time for some lunch.

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

After we placed our order, I told my wife I was going to go play $5 of VP in the adjacent Alamo Casino. After about five hands (one of which I accidentally bet 20 credits instead of 5), I was dealt quad 3s. Could I land the kicker?

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

No. But still, yay! Then a few hands later, I turned a pair of Kings into another quad! Woohoo!

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

I played literally maybe four minutes, matched my 4OAK total from the whole trip and turned my $20 trip deficit into a $9 gambling surplus. Better yet, I put an end to my six-trip losing streak!

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

And even better yet, I returned to find my yummy Crisp Meat Burrito ready and waiting for me. (Seriously, if you haven’t tried these…)

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

After that, we hit the road and enjoyed some really cool clouds not far out of town.

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

I feel like I’ve really developed an appreciation for driving through the desert. This view of what looks like a tiny scale model freight train is a perfect example why:

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

We stopped at Barstow Station again on the way home (Dunkin Donuts snacks) and made good time all the way. We packed a lot of fun stuff into three days and all had a blast! Until next time…

Register or Login
    by
    Register or Login
    , on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hard4

Hard4
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Great report Mark. Love the attention to detail - no way I could remember all of that. Looks like the whole family had a blast.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tellafriend

Tellafriend
    Expand Collapse
    I am who I am; who else could I be?
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Great report, thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  7. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Wow, amazing pictures! What a fun trip. Great idea for an impromptu getaway. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the Luxor. Because inclinators. Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tesla

Tesla
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Now you got me hungry for pizza. Thanks for the trip report!

PS. Your daughter is adorable. It's great to see her being so obviously stoked about your family vacation in Vegas.

• Like Like x 1
  9. M_ILIS

M_ILIS
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Thanks for the nice comments!

After thinking about it for a bit, I realized I need a ruling on whether or not this was a winning trip. (Not really a big deal, but curious what you think.)

So I was calling it a winning trip because I lost $20 out of pocket the one night, and then won $29 while at Taco Time. But that didn't factor in the $25 in free play I lost the first night. After "playing through" the free play, I had $18.25 I could've cashed out. Would you consider that part of your bankroll, or do you not factor free play (and its resulting cash) into your win/loss calculations?

Also, forgot to mention this earlier: The business card @Royal Flusher left for me at Luxor is no longer stuck in the bottom of the box where he left it. Someone must've pried it out of there.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Craps_Player

Craps_Player
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Nice Thread. It's a winning trip because you looked after your family. That's all that matters. They appear to have had a great time as a family. Most players forget how incredibly important this is. The gambling is oh so secondary to the activities you organised and accomplished.

• Like Like x 1