Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

And another U.S. Open ends under a rules/decision cloud

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ken2v, Jul 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Wow, bad run of luck for the USGA. And another botched trophy presentation by the prez. At least she appeared sober this time.

Tags:
  2. VEGASBJ

VEGASBJ
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Since I didn't watch or hear about the controversy, what was the incident/problem?

3. Joe

Joe
    Expand Collapse
    Used to live in Vegas
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Yes, no clue here either.

4. 4Eyes

4Eyes
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Except this time the USGA got it right. No question that Nordqvist deserved a two stroke penalty. The only legitimate criticism of the USGA was the time delay in notifying the players. Should the USGA have suspended the playoff while they reviewed the video? In this case, I think so, since the rules violation was obvious from the network feed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    I thought they got the call right last time, too, but that one grain of sand did clearly move ... when viewed through max-zoom, slo-mo, high-res TV. So, yes, the right call.

The decision came more quickly this time but, indeed, still not equitably or timely enough. FOX was all over it after the break and the USGA should've settled it on the 18th tee. Dawdling as they did, they should've let Lang hit her third before telling her as she clearly and later admittedly changed her strategy as a result.

Golf needs to get a handle on this TV stuff. The genie has been out of the bottle and running amok since Stadler's tree, and it is only getting "worse."

6. Bundy Al Bundy

Bundy Al Bundy
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    That Stadler/towel/tree incident goes back a few years - probably not remembered by a lot of people.
    Since everyone is so anal with cameras etc, I think cheating should be encouraged in professional golf.
    If you do it and get in and sign your card before it is detected, you get to knock a stoke off of your score

7. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer
    Expand Collapse
    "What doesn't kill you makes you strong."
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Funny, I saw Anna hover her club in that bunker and thought, wow, she's really close to the sand.
    And indeed it moved in true Constanza fashion.
    But, especially in a match play situation, these from on high USGA officials should certainly have had a protocol planned for such an event.
    Especially after DJ's scenario.
    To let one player and not the other know before her shot in match play is way bad.
    The idea that there are rules of golf for everything from burrowing animal holes (saved me once) to 3 colors of stakes but not on when to inform a player of a penalty is just weak.
    I can only wonder what would transpire if there had been such scrutiny back when Arnie's army would routinely kick balls back into play.
    Of course any pro who bitches today should be reminded of where the money comes from for those purses.

8. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    It was just ugly.

Love that course, though.

9. M_ILIS

M_ILIS
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Haha!

I think players just need to realize that if they're coming down the stretch of any tournament, they're under a microscope nearly literally and figuratively. Why take that chance of putting your club so close to the sand? You have to be more careful. DJ's thing was much more of a fluke, where a ball moves (possibly) as a result of grounding your club next to it.

10. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Nordqvist is known for being a bit of a sand hugger.

As for DJs most recent brain fart, you can bet Rule 18-2 is gonna get tweaked again and the whole "Ball at Rest Moved" thing will be simplified to be, Did you actually touch it, however accidentally? And if not put it back with no penalty, whether that is at address or doing whatever quirky pre-stroke/-shot permutations you have.