Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Airlines,,,, Big & Tall Folks..

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Hugo Hackenbush, Jun 30, 2016.

1. momnkid

momnkid
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Travel to LV with someone that is deep and wide (maybe not some of the dimensions I have heard discussed but definitely 6'+ and solid) and they pay to be the first on in that Business Select group (think that's what seats A1-5 are now) so they can grab the magical window seat behind the exit row. There's no seat in front and they can stretch out. Just FYI

2. PollysPa

PollysPa
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I

I find it absolutely incredible that anyone who admits to being over 350lb, feels it's acceptable to "spill over" into the aisle. We are all instructed never to block an aisle with a bag etc. Blocking an aisle with your body is dangerous.
    Apologies if this sounds harsh but if you cannot fit into a seat, then buy another. Please don't risk the comfort & safety of another passenger just to save yourself money.
    I spent 5 hours sat next to an enormous passenger, who squashed me AND spilled over into the aisle.
    Five hours of misery due to another's weight problem.
    Please be more considerate of others, most especially the poor devil that happens, through no fault of their own, to be seated next to you.
    I will be in Vegas again around end of Sept, & the thought of being squashed again isn't pleasant. It's also totally unnecessary. If, due to your size, you need to, buy an extra seat, do it, don't ruin another's flight to save money/,

#22 Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. nickpapageorgio

nickpapageorgio
    Expand Collapse
    The OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel.
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    So spilling into the aisle is better or worse than having passenger X in your space? My guess is that your safety speak goes out the window in the name of your personal space, so stay on target.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. wineguy

wineguy
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    try living in our world for awhile before spouting this kind of stuff.

At 6'6" and 350 I haven't fit into the "normal" world for any of my life and I have no room (pardon the pun) for these types of comments. You don't like being squashed? Move - at least you have an option. Do you think it changes anything for me if I move? No, it does not.

As a "person of size" I've lived my life in constant vigil of those smaller than me, constantly being aware of my surroundings and making the effort not to "encroach", regardless of the environment. DO you do the same? I don't think so....

FWIW, I dread airline travel because I know i will run into this type of thinking. Yet, I fly anyway and will purchase an extra seat or upgrade as needed. Exit aisle is my destination of choice so stay the hell out of it if you don't want to be confronted. On many an SWA flight I'ver paid extra to be in the front of the line so I get access to the exit aisle. On occasion, I've run into a pixie sitting in those seats, usually on a connecting flight. I typically ask if they would mind changing seats...some agree, some do not. They have that prerogative, but it just shows the lack of caring illustrated earlier in this thread.

i've never taken advantage off the SWA "Person of size" policy because I felt pre-boarding should be reserved for those with physical handicaps...I never viewed my size as such. I've always wanted to be part of the "normal" world so would stand in line (albeit with an early bird boarding pass) and taken what I'm given. After hearing some of the comments in this thread, and especially the ones by PollysPa, I can see that my views have been in error, so I will take advantage of these "perks" on my next flight. I'll look forward to the extra seating room and the pre-boarding.

for those "normal" sized folks who don't like it...screw you. If you have a problem with that thinking, come and get some. It takes a bit to get me angry, but trust me, you don't want to be the focus of that anger when I do.

#24 Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    • Lame Lame x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. PollysPa

PollysPa
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    A couple of points, Flight Attendants quite rightly will always move objects that are blocking even part of the aisle, So if it's wrong for an object, it's wrong for a body. Plus with the obese guy who was squashing me, every single time the trolley came down, he had to lean away from the aisle onto me to allow the trolley to pass. Is that OK in your opinion?

As for "personal space" it's a lot more than that, Extended periods of time being semi crushed is not great for circulation or comfort. The type of obese traveller who needs to sit in his/her seat, part of another's seat AND part of the aisle, will not, by merit of their sheer bulk be able to clear the aisle rapidly in the event of an emergency.
    Please stop attempting to shift the blame onto others, the overweight are just that, OVER weight & should pay for extra seats, so as never to inflict their size on another.
    To even consider for one moment that to use part of another's seat, is no different than planning on drinking part of another drink or eating part of someone else's food.

• Lame Lame x 1
  6. PollysPa

PollysPa
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:

• Lame Lame x 1
  7. PollysPa

PollysPa
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    So what do you suggest when the cabin is full? Even if it's not full, do I have to move & then sit away from my wife because of your size? Even when we have paid to sit together?
    Why would you for one instant feel it's fine to sit on another person?
    Writing as a "pixie" don't I deserve to have 100% of my seat or do you as a "person of size" somehow feel you have some kind of right to sit on others?
    I did not call you names, I did not make silly threats, I attempted to point out the nasty results of a 350lb "person of size" trying to fit their butt into a seat not capable of accommodating that bulk.
    Don;t get angry with folk who don't appreciate being squashed, It's never their fault you are sat next to them on a full flight is it?

• Lame Lame x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hugo Hackenbush

Hugo Hackenbush
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    For a multitude of reasons and circumstances we are all different. Airline seating is too small even for most "normal" size people.

I can relate to most of both sides of the discussion. It is not a perfect world. Normal people don't understand life for a tall and big guy, and tall and big guys don't understand life for smaller or normal people. At 6'10",, 261 lbs. I experience this in society too...

Acceptance of each other in society is needed,,,,. and compassion....There are good and bad big people and there are good and bad smaller people.
    Understanding on a plane and consideration goes a long way....

• Like Like x 1
  9. wineguy

wineguy
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I go out of my way to not "sit on" other people to the point of aiming for (and typically paying for) special seats.

If you don't want to be squashed, avoid the exit aisle seats.
    Assuming we are talking about seating on SWA, those choices are "open". I pay for the privilege of being an early boarder so I can grab a seat that is (hopefully) not only accommodating to me but also out of the way of "others". You have a similar choice...avoid the exit aisle. That is all I ask

Frankly, I'm tired of the whining. I have to deal with lesser dimensions in terms of seat size. You have to deal with someone larger sitting next to you. Get out of my way if you don't like it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Aisle? Man, it takes one big Iz-sized dude or dudette to impact an aisle.

As a Person of Large -- 6'1", 280 -- I am VERY conscious of the space of other people. "Better" rows, first class, window if that's all that is available so I then can become one with the fuselage; yes, I get the shared space thing. My choice, too, obviously. (But some people don't actually have that choice.) I don't need an extender, I don't bring gobs of shit on the plane thereby leaving my footwell open which allows me a modicum of increased comfort and a modicum of greater ability not to "intrude" on another. Regardless, I am FAR more likely to have my space invaded by a "properly"-sized person who thinks the armrest is his/hers exclusively and if a little elbow comes my way, well, that's his/her birthright, too.

(And as a Person of Large, I am NOT in favor of free seats for Persons of Big Large if it impacts my flight costs. If SWA or whomever wants to do it as a logical act of good customer service, more power to them.)

I don't particularly like flying with kids. Why should they be allowed to invade my "space"? Their parents certainly had a choice not to create them in the first place. What about the Twiggy-sized gal who exceeds every on-board baggage allowance and hits 23 people bringing her caravan down the aisle and shoving it into myriad stowage spaces (that really are meant for others)? The bathing-challenged? The dude with the cloud of halitosis? Or all those wonderful people who seem to think perfume and cologne and body sprays and what not should be put on with spray bottles not spritzers? Or the fun drunk who really is just a noisy fucktard? And by all means fire up that extra salami and kraut hoagie you brought with you. Crap, one more; yes, the seat reclines, how about checking behind before hitting the button?

OK, now where was I?

Oh, that's right, sanctimonious people. Rude comes in all shapes and sizes.

• Haha Haha x 2
    • Like Like x 1