Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Aftermath of a storm & over confident 4wd/SUV drivers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GlenBaccarat79, Feb 10, 2016.

1. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

It's not pretty, but a word of warning, 4WD, 8WD, 16WD, don't care if you have 32WD, if its icy and slick and zero visibility you will get hurt, real bad. Hundreds and hundreds of accidents and cars and trucks sliding into those stopped for one reason or another. Also, if you are in a storm, stuck or broke down on the interstate, leave your vehicle, do not stay in it. These were in our side parking area at my office this morning because the tow companies buildings and lots are absolutely filled. In all my years working the highways for whatever business I was in, this one tops it all. Please be safe and think, just cause you have 4WD doesn't mean jack.

THINK! If you are in doubt, stop you vehicle, walk on the roadway. If you cant stand without sliding your 4WD or 16WD car or truck will do the same exact thing!

#1 Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  2. geoff

geoff
    Expand Collapse
    Professional nerd, amateur provocateur
    Founder's Club

Yeah people forget that (for the most part) 4wd doesn't help you stop.. Also tire choice makes a huge difference

3. GlenBaccarat79

GlenBaccarat79
    Expand Collapse
    Unlike poker, folding is the only way!
    Board Dweeb Founder's Club

I don't know, when I lived all those years in the northeast, NY-NJ (Philly is included, okay Rocky?) I never checked the roadway, but since I spent the past 15 years up on the high line or the Midwest, I will at times when in doubt, stop, walk on the roadway when the temps are cold enough to freeze them and check them that way. Why chance it. Having ticket free and claim free, makes the insurance premiums real nice!!!!!!!!! Pays off, even if its not your fault, you will suffer in the insurance department.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa
    Expand Collapse
    Front Line Winner
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    One of my favorite activities is watching people try to drive in ice and snow here in Houston.

We had a couple days of ice and snow my first several years living here and it's like watching a Tijuana donkey show. One year we had an ice storm the Friday of SB weekend. I'm scheduled to fly to Vegas the next day and I'm pissed. Surely my flight would be canceled but to my shock it wasn't. So for my 0730 flight I left my place st 0400 and I only live 20mi from Bush. I was going 10-15 the whole way bc I'm driving in the beltway and it's nothing but bridges and overpasses. People would blow by doing 40+ and I'd eventually see them in a ditch or kissing a guardrail.