Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

Aces ... not that kind

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ken2v, Feb 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Every jarred one from the tee on a par 3 (or 4)?

I have a sum total of zippo. I do have a hole-in-three at Goose Creek, after my first tee shot went agua and I was unsure of the markings so I just re-hit, a la Couples at Sawgrass.

Almost had one on Sunday at Village Country Club. Had a ball two inches out at Hapuna a few years ago. Last December in a tourney I hit a shot that landed about an inch front of the hole -- smack dab in line -- and finished an inch behind the hole -- smack dad in line; we're still all trying to figure out htf that happened. I've hit the stick quite a few times to no satisfaction. I've jarred quite a few eagles but never one that counted as an ace.

Tags:
  2. Dreamsh!t

Dreamsh!t
    Expand Collapse
    Love craps, and beer!.
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Nope, a few thousand swings at it, but only 3 stick bounces.

Once I celebrated one, but the sun and a 1 mph wind on the flag , had just cast a shadow to hide my ball a few inches past the hole. After a quick high five, the flag moved again and my ball could be see. Shit! false alarm.

3. Packer

Packer
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club Platinum Linker

Ken, ive been playing since the age of 12. I have had many many eagles but never an ace. Close many times. One just last year at pebble beach on #7, 111 yards, no wind, sand wedge ended up 2ft after rolling just past the hole. That was exciting. I have witnessed 2 as part of my foursome.
    What gets me is the guy (and ive met many) who has been playing a couple years, just started playing at 40 and has had 3 already. Or the hack who shoots 100 plaus 5 times a year and has had 3 aces. Unbelievable.

I meant 2" not ft! Big difference! I'm getting old.

#3 Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  4. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    I have a bud like that, two aces w/i six months of taking up the game. (And they weren't pretty!)

5. davis646

davis646
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Still waiting. A couple that have bounced off the stick but none have dropped. My closest was actually on a par 4. The guys walking off the green in front of us said it did almost a 360 around the cup before stopping 2 inches in front.

6. gmille58

gmille58
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker Extraordinaire
    Founder's Club

I dont golf much, but the guy I started golfing with, who was also my employer in college, had two in his career. He started golfing late, and his first one he didn't see go in, they were looking for his ball and one of his group walked by the hole, saw it in there and picked it out for him. He was kind of irritated by that, but the guy he was golfing with was a customer of his so he couldn't get too mad. His second one was at a tourney and a downhill green so he was able to celebrate that one.

I also golfed once with a coworker who was inches from a hole in three as you described. He was actually happy it didn't go in,

7. shifter

shifter
    Expand Collapse
    Degenerate Gambler
    The Chairman

Trips to Vegas:
    Amazingly I have 0 as well.

With my thousands and thousands of rounds you'd think one at least but the best I've done is a couple inches several times.

I do have a few jars from the fairway for eagle. Most notably was on the 18th hole in a tourney. I had just drained a 70 foot putt on 17 but was still 2 back. Jarred a 9 iron to force a playoff.

8. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    My eagles are pretty evenly distributed between short 4s where I didn't gag on the putt and jarring something from the fairway be it a 4 or 5. I've had a few on par 5s where I was on or near-enough in two to somehow coerce the putts to drop. No double eagles. I think my most recent was at SouthShore. Or maybe it was 17 at TPC Scottsdale. Hmm.

Obviously there is so much luck involved. Better players know on many greens they need to play away from the hole, to a particular shelf or bank -- that's certainly the case at a few of the courses I play most often, you know to go long and spin it back or whatever -- while the happily unaware just bang away.

9. riders

riders
    Expand Collapse
    DSTP Degenerate
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    Let's start with 0 for me also. I don't much at all these days (most of my golf is with shotguns now) ... however, I was playing a lot of corporate tourneys and on a Car give-away hole, I missed by about 6". The closest I have ever come.

10. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer
    Expand Collapse
    "What doesn't kill you makes you strong."
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Wow. I am surprised, especially with Ken, Packer and Shifter all having played as many rounds as they have and none between the 3.
    I've jarred everything from lob wedges to utilities for eagles but never an ace.
    I was in a tournament with a $10K prize and hit a 4i to 3". Instead of any money I got a closest to. And lots of 3" too short comments. From 175 yards 3" looks really close. And there was a crowd up on the restaurant that went crazy while it tracked.
    Like Packer, at Pebble #7, first time I ever played it, my brother says to the caddie "do you get many holes-in-one's here?" Caddie says "very few."
    Next shot I hit a 52* that spins back to 7". If nothing else I have gained some length.