Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

A good Zin house

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ken2v, Jan 3, 2017.

1. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    We cleaned house a few months back, dumping a bunch of winery memberships, and keying on a few local stalwarts. Given where we live, we are decidedly unrepresented in Zinfandel. WineGuy, DannyO, shifter,Veej, 'Bu, anyone ... who would you recommended we try for a while? At least several Zin offerings in the house range, keeping the median somewhere in the 30-40 buck zone.

Thanks.

2. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    There are two stylistic choices you can make, I think, Ken. I like the higher-acidity Sonoma Zins: Dry Creek, Russian River. My favorite producers there are Joseph Swan, Novy, Carlisle, and (of course) Ridge. To me, the Zins from those producers are totally reliable. In the fatter, juicier camp (not that the Novy and Carlisle Zins aren't this way), you have folks like Turley, Outpost, Biale that are good choices.

I tend to drink my Zin on the young side, but the Ridge can age so beautifully. So can the Swan Zins. Not a bad place to start. I'll think of more. This is purely stream-of-consciousness.

3. wineguy

wineguy
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Rafanelli leaps to mind as does Carlisle and Bedrock.

Elyse and Jacob Franklin from Ray Coursen are solid. Black Sears, Lamborn Family, Outpost and Storybook Mtn. The last 4 don't focus on Zin but do a great job with it. Oh, left out an old favorite - Chase Family (Hayne Vineyard) and one more favorite...Gamba. Hope these help

4. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    Rafanelli -- awesome choice. Also Limerick Lane is solid.

5. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Thanks guys. Seriously!!!

Any Lodi thoughts? (We're going to Sacto soon, Terri has a conference and I'm going to ride and beat demo clubs at Haggis Oaks. We added a stop in Lodi so I can write an article for the Times.)

6. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    You know, I've never gone to Lodi or thought of Lodi-specific wineries ... but I've always liked the Ravenswood wines out of Lodi. I think Ravenswood is still pretty good when you get above the $7 mass blend (and even that is still solid on occasion). Turley does some out of Lodi, too, as I recall. But their damn bottle shape drives me nuts. As do the alcohol levels sometimes. Haha

7. wineguy

wineguy
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    Those bottlings from Ravenswood and Turley are vineyard specific I think as opposed to being Lodi producers

I'm at a loss as to high quality producers that are based in Lodi. Renwood is probably the closest that I can think of

There may be a couple select bottlings from Trinchero that would work for you...they do have a site in Lodi with a tasting room IIRC

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tahoejoe

Tahoejoe
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I'm a member of the Oak Ridge winery in Lodi. Nothing fancy about the winery. Just a tasting room. I really like their OZV line of wines. Especially their red blend.
    I've been told that 35% of Lodi grapes are shipped to Napa Valley. Don't tell anyone. :)

9. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Thanks for the input, gang.

Yep, grapes get shipped all over. That's why provenance is important.

10. DannyOcean

DannyOcean
    Expand Collapse
    Opening the Champagne
    Founder's Club

Trips to Vegas:
    So, over the weekend, on a lark, I spotted a Zin from a Lodi-based winery. It was a simple Lodi Old Vine Blend from Brazin, their 2013. Not spectacular, but for $12 very good drinking indeed:

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

So that is truly out of Lodi, too. Good value. I'd give it a B+. Juicy but not too big. Bit clipped on the back end but a nice drink!