Welcome to Vegas Boards!

The only Las Vegas Message Board and forum built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.
Join today for free!

A couple of new toys

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ken2v, Jun 22, 2016.

1. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad
    Hit Squad Founder's Club Gold Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

Mack Daddy PM-grind 58 and MD3 W-grind 54.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dooner

Dooner
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    When do you get your sticks back from Callaway with the new shafts? This is the same grip you are putting on them, too, right? I am curious how the PM grind is going to work for you? It is supposed to allow more versatility of shots - from sand to flop and soft to hard, correct? I love new clubs still in the plastic!!!!

3. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Same shaft and grip. Thought about a soft step in these two but I'm not exactly finesse so WTF. Irons are a few days out; these were new-build from the factory and the irons are coming out of the fancy-pants joint in Carlsbad. I like the look of the channel grind. It really does tuck the leading edge down when you spin it open. But, damn, that is one UGLY club with that toe. Makes sense but it is freakin' ugly.

4. wigwam_timeshares

wigwam_timeshares
    Expand Collapse
    Founder's Club

Surely a bat is a bat is a bat?

Golf would be more fun if you had to shoot the balls out of the sky lol.

5. riders

riders
    Expand Collapse
    DSTP Degenerate
    Founder's Club Silver Linker

Trips to Vegas:
    you mean something like this ...

You must be a registered user with confirmed email address to view this content.
    Register or Login

However, I found this to be more impressive.

Register or Login

• Like Like x 1
  6. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Yes and no. What happens in baseball if the pros get aluminum? What if Brady played with a legal football? Home court/field advantage 'cause the homeys know the quirks and angles and bounces better? I guess you could take a .22 into a firefight, couldn't you?

Most golfers are defined by their short games, which is why most of us suck. But different club configurations do fly better/worse, "feel" better/worse, and most are playing for those moments, those "good" holes, and not the final tally. Dustin Johnson could mash pretty much anyone's equipment and still be a stud, but the specific specs do matter. Ironically, industry stats show that hacks actually benefit more from properly fitted equipment, but a lot of that is attributable to the fact that so many still buy blind so we're taking big degrees of separation not little ones to begin with.

As for me, I do this shit for a living, so that's a win-win since I also love golf. I'm not into cars, I don't take my motocross bike out on weekends, I don't play bingo.

7. Dooner

Dooner
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I worked for years in the golf business as a golf club manager/pro and have given lessons to countless golfers of all sizes. After they became comfortable with the game and decided to try to improve, I always suggested golf fitting. Not for our business, because it was a non-profit municipal golf course, but for their satisfaction. You don't need a $1000+ set of clubs right out of the gate, but back in my days, proper length and upright/flat was the two main components to look for. You can't find that buying a set off the rack at the big box stores. Yes, they can be adjusted and bent, however, a serious golfer will want this done at a factory to ensure best fit.

As far as the shooting reference. I once hit (and killed) a starling (smaller black crow-like bird) with my Drive on our Ninth Hole. It was our weekly two foursome night. The group behind us were two holes behind, putting on Hole 7. One guy heard and saw the 'hit', went over to the dead bird, picked it up and yelled "This must be your first birdie you've had in awhile?".

• Like Like x 1
  8. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Yep, length, flex and lie. Only about 50 percent of golfers fit to "standard." But ironically, my static spec is long and upright though I field test every time to standard.

You're the Dave Winfield of golf, Doon!

9. Dooner

Dooner
    Expand Collapse

Trips to Vegas:
    I have not been club fitted (detailed) for about 5 years now. I know my club head speed has decreased a bit (although the last guy said - oh, no question, your definitely a stiff shaft) and I am getting older and less flexible. I still twist my hips very quick and was fitted with a 2 degree upright on irons, even though I am only 5 foot 6 inches. Just wondering if a new club fitting is due, even though I am happy with all my clubs currently?

Things have changed and updated so much in the last 25 years. My knowledge back them consisted of marking tape and board and a tape measure, with about three 6 irons. After that it got so technical!

10. ken2v

ken2v
    Expand Collapse
    Hit Squad

Trips to Vegas:
    Yep. Some folks still do it essentially that way. I just had an article hit yesterday in The Met Golfer on fitting and I have a PGA guy in there who still prefers eyeballs and green grass. The Bridgestone gang says Couples want nothing to do with numbers. Old school.